Tag: county

County scraps plans for waste-to-energy incinerator

The Board of County Commissioners broke plans Thursday for a regional waste-to-energy incinerator, preferring to haul the county’s waste to a landfill using a short-term contract instead. Commissioners Paul Smith and Billy Shreve cast the dissenting votes to maintain the job on the dining table while the county investigates its options.

“It is absolutely no charge to the county to maintain these options open,” Smith stated. “To do away with these choices is mad.”

Terminating the undertaking will not cost the county any money as the Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority, a quasi-governmental service that helps the county meet its trash disposal needs, will cover the $500,000 conclusion fee. Any remaining funds after this payment will be divided between Frederick County and Carroll County, which was once a partner in the undertaking. These funds are out of payments the authority has obtained from Wheelabrator after the service contract has been executed in 2010.

But, Young said he saw no purpose in voting to maintain plans for an incinerator, which could burn trash to electricity, open because County Executive-elect Jan Gardner intended to scrap the facility after accepting office Dec. 1.

“In the event the county executive-elect says finishing the job, what are you going to do within the next 30 to 60 days to convince her not to?” Young stated.

County Attorney John Mathias stated Gardner held the power to determine the fate of this incinerator job, not the County Council, if a decision was not made Thursday.

“I think you should terminate the entire thing,” Gardner testified in front of the plank and approximately 100 people gathered at Winchester Hall, garnering some applause.

The board unanimously voted in favor of transporting the county’s trash to an out-of-state landfill for $50.95 per ton using a highest last-minute contract.

After considering five suggestions, including three out-of-state prices and 2 waste-to-energy facilities outside Maryland, the commissioners narrowed their choices between two sidewalks with varying contracts.

Commissioners previously leaned toward the first option, which offered contracts stretching 25 years at a mean of $54.97 a ton, although that cost can escalate annually using the consumer price index and fuel rates. However, the board unanimously chose the second option, which Gardner also favored.

Around 30 individuals testified in front of the board regarding the incinerator job, using a bit more than half in favor of scrapping it along with the remainder advocating for maintaining the job on the table to consider it more deeply.

“The incinerator is a waste of energy, a waste of resources (also ) a waste of cash,” Brunswick resident Ellis Burruss testified. “It’d be good not to waste any more time .”

Other residents noted the proposed location of this incinerator, near Monocacy National Battlefield, could ruin the playground ’s beauty and tourism.

However, resident Greg Brown voiced his support for a regional incinerator, supposing it had been more environmentally friendly than the other choices commissioners were contemplating.

“The top landfills … are three or more times more pollutant than a waste-to-energy facility,” Brown stated.

Another resident stated Europe has been constructing waste-to-energy centers for many years without the unwanted effects that many have brought up.

Jim Warner, CEO of the Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority in Pennsylvania, pitched a proposition for hauling the county’s trash, but the commissioners chose to proceed with an undisclosed out-of-state landfill using a Brief contract.

“I was actually with this (incinerator project), but with all the energy costs and Carroll County falling out … I’m not,” Delauter said, echoing the ideas of Young and Gray.

by: http://besttopics.net/link/214519_county-scraps-plans-for-waste-to-energy-incinerator-politics-and-government-frederick-news-post

by: http://besttopics.net/link/214519_county-scraps-plans-for-waste-to-energy-incinerator-politics-and-government-frederick-news-post

Bid to burn waste from out of City in Newhaven Incinerator

Veolia is looking to supply non-recyclable commercial and industrial waste for its Newhaven Incinerator from regions neighbouring East Sussex and Brighton and Hove.

It asserts this will permit the incinerator to create sufficient energy to power 25,000 homes always.

However, cllr Rod Main from Newhaven said this could lead to more pollution and trucks.

Veolia applied for planning permission to East Sussex County Council to raise a planning condition to permit the scheme to proceed.

General manager for Veolia in South Downs Allan Key said the firm wanted to expand the catchment area outside East Sussex and Brighton and Hove.

He explained it wouldn’t result in physical changes at the incinerator or boost to the 242,000tpa capacity. Facilities like the one we’ve got here in Newhaven recovers energy from waste that could otherwise be lost by moving out of county landfill”

Cllr Main stated:”They want more waste to assist ESCC’s carbon footprint by pumping more carbon dioxide into the air (and it’s about 100,000 tonnes pa now) to not mention how many more trucks will be coming directly across Sussex from who knows where adding to the pollution.

“It’s helping to power 25,000 homes. There is a proposed wind farm just off the shore which might power 20 times that also it will not be pumping 100,000 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year for the next 20 or more years.”

“It’s helping to power 25,000 homes. There’s a proposed wind farm just off the coast which might power 20 times that and it won’t be pumping 100,000 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year for the next 20 or more years.”

by: http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/bid-to-burn-waste-from-out-of-town-in-newhaven-incinerator-1-6388465

Заявка на сжигание чужеродных отходов на мусоросжигательной установке в Ньюхейвене

Veolia стремится получать не подлежащие переработке коммерческие и промышленные отходы для своего мусоросжигательного завода в Ньюхейвене из районов, соседствующих с Восточным Сассексом и Брайтоном и Хоувом.

Он утверждает, что это позволит мусоросжигательной установке производить достаточно энергии для непрерывного питания 25 000 домов.

Но управляющий Род Мэйн из Ньюхейвена сказал, что это приведет к увеличению количества грузовиков и загрязнению окружающей среды.

Veolia обратилась за разрешением на строительство в Совет графства Восточный Суссекс, чтобы отменить условие планирования, чтобы схема могла быть реализована.

Генеральный менеджер Veolia в Саут-Даунсе Аллан Ки сказал, что компания хочет расширить зону обслуживания за пределами Восточного Суссекса и Брайтона и Хоува.

Он сказал, что это не приведет к физическим изменениям на мусоросжигательном заводе или увеличению мощности до 242 000 тонн в год.

Г-н Ки сказал: «Спрос на энергию будет увеличиваться из года в год. Такие объекты, как тот, который есть у нас здесь, в Ньюхейвене, восстанавливают энергию из отходов, которые в противном случае были бы потеряны при отправке на полигон за пределами округа ».

Директор Мэйн сказал: «Им нужно больше отходов, чтобы уменьшить углеродный след ESCC, закачивая больше углекислого газа в атмосферу (а сейчас это около 100 000 тонн в год), не говоря уже о том, сколько еще грузовиков будет проезжать прямо через Сассекс из неизвестно откуда загрязнение.

«Это помогает обеспечить электроэнергией 25 000 домов. Рядом с побережьем предлагается ветряная электростанция, которая может вырабатывать в 20 раз больше энергии, и она не будет выбрасывать в атмосферу 100 000 тонн углекислого газа ежегодно в течение следующих 20 или более лет ».

по: http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/bid-to-burn-waste-from-out-of-town-in-newhaven-incinerator-1-6388465

Norfolk incinerator bill wrangle could continue until after Christmas

Norfolk County Council voted by 48 votes to 30 to complete the contract to the proposed incinerator at Saddlebow at an extraordinary meeting in April.

Council officers had stated that, due to delays in securing planning permission, the controversial project no longer provided good value for money, and councillors agreed to ditch it. That included #20.3m to Cory Wheelabrator – the firm which would have built and run the burner; public inquiry costs of #1.6m and estimated interest related expenses of #11.8m.

The initial #11.8m of that invoice was paid in July, but council bosses are locked in months of discussions regarding the fine details of the contract and just how much that means the council must pay Cory Wheelabrator. In September, it was announced the compensation would be”considerably lower” than the #20.3m initially estimated.

But at a meeting this week, Tom McCabe, interim manager of environment, transportation and development at Norfolk County Council, told councillors the final figure had yet to be agreed.

He explained:”The discussion with Cory Wheelabrator is ongoing and we would expect to have it resolved by Christmas.

“It’s premature to say it’ll be done by then, though. It could be achieved before that or it could drag on for longer.” Norfolk County Council is still trying to think of a long-term remedy to how to deal with the county’s waste.

However, in the short-term, a deal was struck with their counterparts in Suffolk for crap to be burnt in a newly-built incinerator in Great Blakenham.

Over the next year, about 40,000 tonnes of Norfolk’s staying household waste will be hauled down the A140 to be burnt at the plant.

• What do you consider the incinerator saga? By: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/norfolk_incinerator_bill_wrangle_could_continue_until_after_christmas_1_3823390

• What do you think of the incinerator saga? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.
by: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/norfolk_incinerator_bill_wrangle_could_continue_until_after_christmas_1_3823390