Tag: out

County scraps plans for waste-to-energy incinerator

The Board of County Commissioners broke plans Thursday for a regional waste-to-energy incinerator, preferring to haul the county’s waste to a landfill using a short-term contract instead. Commissioners Paul Smith and Billy Shreve cast the dissenting votes to maintain the job on the dining table while the county investigates its options.

“It is absolutely no charge to the county to maintain these options open,” Smith stated. “To do away with these choices is mad.”

Terminating the undertaking will not cost the county any money as the Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority, a quasi-governmental service that helps the county meet its trash disposal needs, will cover the $500,000 conclusion fee. Any remaining funds after this payment will be divided between Frederick County and Carroll County, which was once a partner in the undertaking. These funds are out of payments the authority has obtained from Wheelabrator after the service contract has been executed in 2010.

But, Young said he saw no purpose in voting to maintain plans for an incinerator, which could burn trash to electricity, open because County Executive-elect Jan Gardner intended to scrap the facility after accepting office Dec. 1.

“In the event the county executive-elect says finishing the job, what are you going to do within the next 30 to 60 days to convince her not to?” Young stated.

County Attorney John Mathias stated Gardner held the power to determine the fate of this incinerator job, not the County Council, if a decision was not made Thursday.

“I think you should terminate the entire thing,” Gardner testified in front of the plank and approximately 100 people gathered at Winchester Hall, garnering some applause.

The board unanimously voted in favor of transporting the county’s trash to an out-of-state landfill for $50.95 per ton using a highest last-minute contract.

After considering five suggestions, including three out-of-state prices and 2 waste-to-energy facilities outside Maryland, the commissioners narrowed their choices between two sidewalks with varying contracts.

Commissioners previously leaned toward the first option, which offered contracts stretching 25 years at a mean of $54.97 a ton, although that cost can escalate annually using the consumer price index and fuel rates. However, the board unanimously chose the second option, which Gardner also favored.

Around 30 individuals testified in front of the board regarding the incinerator job, using a bit more than half in favor of scrapping it along with the remainder advocating for maintaining the job on the table to consider it more deeply.

“The incinerator is a waste of energy, a waste of resources (also ) a waste of cash,” Brunswick resident Ellis Burruss testified. “It’d be good not to waste any more time .”

Other residents noted the proposed location of this incinerator, near Monocacy National Battlefield, could ruin the playground ’s beauty and tourism.

However, resident Greg Brown voiced his support for a regional incinerator, supposing it had been more environmentally friendly than the other choices commissioners were contemplating.

“The top landfills … are three or more times more pollutant than a waste-to-energy facility,” Brown stated.

Another resident stated Europe has been constructing waste-to-energy centers for many years without the unwanted effects that many have brought up.

Jim Warner, CEO of the Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority in Pennsylvania, pitched a proposition for hauling the county’s trash, but the commissioners chose to proceed with an undisclosed out-of-state landfill using a Brief contract.

“I was actually with this (incinerator project), but with all the energy costs and Carroll County falling out … I’m not,” Delauter said, echoing the ideas of Young and Gray.

by: http://besttopics.net/link/214519_county-scraps-plans-for-waste-to-energy-incinerator-politics-and-government-frederick-news-post

by: http://besttopics.net/link/214519_county-scraps-plans-for-waste-to-energy-incinerator-politics-and-government-frederick-news-post

Bangor’s former incinerator property is not for sale, authority officials say

The Bangor Borough Authority won’t market the prior incinerator property. Not right now, at least.

The board voted Thursday day to encourage authority Chairman Donald Butz’s Oct. 2 letter into borough council President James Kresge that said the authority need to not market the incinerator and the surrounding home now identified together as the Bangor Company Park.

“Too many people had difficulties with the purchase,” Butz said.

Negotiations were underway at summer time that would have had the authority market the lengthy-dormant 79-acre great deal for $1.075 million into Valley Industrial Properties.

Officials discussed plans with V.I.P. who wanted to fill out the deep valleys and level the steep slopes of the Ridge Road home to make it suitable for development, said authority Administrator Marino Saveri at June.

Even so, some residents and borough officials expressed concern that landfill and dirt possibly hauled in from out of state by V.I.P. might have a potentially adverse ecological impact.

Butz chose to create a letter to the borough asking for a meeting concerning the property shortly after the authority’s September meeting when far more than a dozen residents spoke out from the purchase to V.I.P.

“I’m advocating at the following authority assembly that the authority cease all actions in respect to the selling of the possessions of the Bangor Company Park, also to meet with representatives of the borough council in respect to the possessions,” Butz’s letter analysis in part.

David Houser who functions on each the borough council and the authority was the sole vote on the board not in support of Butz’s letter. Houser has expressed sympathy in the past with these who were contrary to the selling to V.I.P. and that he didn’t actually believe the letter had enough teeth to become purposeful.

“The correspondence is open-ended,” Houser said. “It doesn’t specify any dates. ”

so long as the authority is in possession of this incinerator home, a sale to a landfill hauler remains achievable, said Anna Maria Caldara, a Bangor resident who has been a vocal opponent of the property’s purchase.

“We need to have assurances from the authority that their perspective has shifted,” Caldara said right after the assembly, “and by this point forward we need to have to understand they take sustainability seriously. Any eventual plans or discussions of sale is going to be done in coordination with the borough council, based on Saveri.

“When we do something later on, we’ll do it in combination with this borough,” Saveri mentioned.

The authority voted without objection to reimburse $14,000 into Nimaris Building, which had spent dollars on several engineering permits at the incinerator site in late decades. Authority officials advised Nimaris that they would obtain their income back in case your sale didn’t go by means of, based on Saveri.

The home will remain dormant and shut for now. Hunters and acquaintances of this property regularly make their way beyond the fences and actually should bear in mind that police will be patrolling the home and trespassers will be prosecuted, Saveri said.

Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our subscribers.

Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our readers.

Bid to burn waste from out of City in Newhaven Incinerator

Veolia is looking to supply non-recyclable commercial and industrial waste for its Newhaven Incinerator from regions neighbouring East Sussex and Brighton and Hove.

It asserts this will permit the incinerator to create sufficient energy to power 25,000 homes always.

However, cllr Rod Main from Newhaven said this could lead to more pollution and trucks.

Veolia applied for planning permission to East Sussex County Council to raise a planning condition to permit the scheme to proceed.

General manager for Veolia in South Downs Allan Key said the firm wanted to expand the catchment area outside East Sussex and Brighton and Hove.

He explained it wouldn’t result in physical changes at the incinerator or boost to the 242,000tpa capacity. Facilities like the one we’ve got here in Newhaven recovers energy from waste that could otherwise be lost by moving out of county landfill”

Cllr Main stated:”They want more waste to assist ESCC’s carbon footprint by pumping more carbon dioxide into the air (and it’s about 100,000 tonnes pa now) to not mention how many more trucks will be coming directly across Sussex from who knows where adding to the pollution.

“It’s helping to power 25,000 homes. There is a proposed wind farm just off the shore which might power 20 times that also it will not be pumping 100,000 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year for the next 20 or more years.”

“It’s helping to power 25,000 homes. There’s a proposed wind farm just off the coast which might power 20 times that and it won’t be pumping 100,000 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year for the next 20 or more years.”

by: http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/bid-to-burn-waste-from-out-of-town-in-newhaven-incinerator-1-6388465